Monday, July 30, 2012

5th Edition fighter update

I know I said my next post would be about sanity, but I saw something today that bothered me. As I was browsing facebook this afternoon, I saw that the D&D Next team will be beefing up the fighter class due to playtester complaints that the fighter is a little too plain-Jane. Mike Mearls solution is an added mechanic called "Combat Superiority", an extra dice roll that you add to combat related actions for a little boost in power.  

"Combat superiority represents a fighter’s combat skill. On a fighter’s turn, the player receives a number of dice to represent that fighter’s skill at arms. For example, a 1st-level fighter might allow a player to use 1d4 and a 5th-level one could provide 2d6. A player can choose to spend these dice in a number of ways, depending on his or her character’s fighting style. The default combat superiority option that all fighters can use allows the player to spend the dice as bonus damage on a successful weapon attack. " 


Does that sound a little too much like DCC RPG's luck burning and attack die mechanic to you guys? And, supposedly this new mechanic will take away from something I somewhat praised, the "Themes" and "Background" mechanic. I liked how they worked and the archetypes in my game work similarly. 

Personally, I don't like rolling more dice than I should, and historically in versions 3.x and up modifiers spiral out of control. The fact that a player can add 2d6 to even damage at level 5 is ridiculous to me. It creates superhero characters that deal exorbitant amounts of damage. While static modifiers only grant a certain chance to be better at something, that doesn't mean it is a broken or poor mechanic. A fighter with an attack bonus of +3 and +3 for STR bonus may only have a 30% greater chance of damaging an opponent, but it is still better than say a magician with +0 to +1. D&D is largely a game of chance, you can tell because of the dice n' stuff.

Mike DOES mention that it could be used to perform feats of offensive and defensive awesomeness, but so far I've been neither swayed or impressed, I'll stick to Dorms and Dragons.

No comments:

Post a Comment